OPPORTUNITIES MARKETING CORONAVIRUS
MARKETING OPPORTUNITIES IN CRISIS SITUATIONS LIKE THE CORONAVIRUS
We are facing an Olympic year: elections in the United States and the European Football Championship, which entails an increase in investment worldwide. However, these sectors are the most affected by the isolation caused by the state of alarm in which many countries of the European Union find themselves after the progress of the Coronavirus , which has forced marketing departments to rethink their investments.
The logical trend in this situation would be to redistribute the “conventional” investment destined to attracting other channels more conducive to engagement and branding , such as, for example, content generation , public relations and media management. social . In short, it is about “protecting yourself” from the coming storm and taking advantage to improve business areas especially linked to operations and customer service.
Given this situation that we are facing, the team at The Social Media Family wanted to know, first hand, how restrictions are affecting our sector, more specifically to the advertising investment and marketing strategies of organizations.
HOW DO ADVERSE SITUATIONS AFFECT?
Before the Coronavirus will catch us fully in Spain, forcing us to help #YoMeQuedoEnCasa as much as possible , we had the pleasure of being sponsors of the 47th La Latina Valley Debate for CMOs, where different professionals from the sector debated the situations Adverse marketing has to deal with , like the one that affects us today: the Coronavirus .
In the case of the current situation regarding COVID-19 , it must be borne in mind that health is a very delicate issue; however, marketing can use certain avenues for profit without the public considering that we are taking advantage of the situation.
Here are some of the main conclusions that we can draw from this debate:
- In this adverse situation, you can act in two different ways: use the “stage” to get the most out of it or stay on the sidelines.
- The marketing does not seek to take advantage of the Coronavirus but take into account the positive data generated torque brand.
- Although traditional media have lost share, they are still present in marketing . But with the arrival of the Coronavirus we must bet on digital media since they are cheaper and allow reaching a larger group of potential customers through segmentation.
- It is important to know how to reach the digital audience and make the most of it through social networks and interaction with the community.
- The branding takes a special importance because it is a good time to try to reach a wider audience.
- It is also a good time to bet on Content Marketin g , generating quality content and interest for clients in the sector through blogs or press channels.
During these days we have attended, fundamentally, two types of campaigns: what we could classify as cause marketing (marketing with cause) and those linked to Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR).
The former are short-term oriented, and based on “opportunism”. They are characterized by being aggressive offers, using keywords related to the disease (Coronavirus, COVID-19 , quarantine …) as a claim . While the second, are actions that seek to offer solutions to a previously unknown situation, such as, for example: the case of Microsoft , which has decided to make its teleconferencing services free of charge for the next six months.